Asking someone whether he is going to vote has become like asking someone his income: we have a “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” policy when it comes to our “involvement” in the political scene in this country. Among Christians this is unnecessary. We have the privilege of participating in our governance in this country. A privilege given to us by God and it seems to me we should all take advantage of it.
There doesn’t even need to be confusion on for what or whom to vote, either. Where do we look for guidance? How about Genesis 9?
And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon eery beast of the earth and upon eery bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered. Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And, as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything. But, you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood. And for your lifeblood I will require a reckoning: from every beast I will requires and from man. From his fellow man I will require a reckoning for the life of man. Whoever sheds the blood of man by man shall his blood be shed, for God made in his own image. And you, be fruitful and multiply and increase greatly on the earth and multiply in it.”
Far from some in the Twitterverse (or elsewhere) that flatly tell us we cannot vote Democrat or we cannot vote Republican, looking to the guidance we find here allows more accurate considerations.
- The centrality of building society out of ordered families. “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth….And you, be fruitful and multiply and increase greatly on the earth and multiply in it.”
- Sustaining human life on the earth. “As I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.”
- The protection of human life on earth. “And for your lifeblood, I will require a reckoning.”
These three enterprises comprise the charge by God the Creator to all mankind at all times. Noah was to rebuild the human race: centered on families, their sustainment and their protection.
- What is required to make and prosper families that fill the earth? Vote for that.
- What is required to sustain human life on earth? Vote for that.
- What is required to protect families? Vote for that.
There’s a lot found in each of these enterprises: schools, supply lines, police officers, etc. Sometimes this would mean voting Democrat and sometimes Republican. Don’t listen to the shrill and unbalanced voices out there that scream it is either right or left ONLY. No: that’s buying into an oversimplified and divisive narrative. We can do better. Look to Noah.